Saturday, December 1, 2007

Stomp the Yard

Goodness it seems like forever since I have seen a movie, with me being out of town and football it has been over a month since my last movie review. Last night I did see a movie.

Stomp the Yard, I think, I have already seen this movie it is called Bring It On, Footloose and a little Save the Last Dance. The movie begins in inner-city Los Angeles and DJ Williams (Columbus Short) & his younger brother Duron (Chris Brown) competing in local krump dance competitions as members of a team known as the "Goon Squad". After they win the competition the opposing team jumps the "Good Squad" outside and Duron ends up getting shot and killed.

DJ is sent to Atlanta to live with his Aunt Jackie (Valarie Pettiford) & Uncle Nate (Harry J. Lennix). While he is living in Atlanta he agrees to attend historically black Truth University and work maintenance around the school. DJ soon learns there is a different kind of dance that students especially the fraternities do around campus and that is stepping. The two big fraternities on campus, Theta Nu Theta and Mu Gamma Xi are big into the stepping and complete nationally. The Mu Gamma Xi are the seven time step champions and the Thetas are always living in the shadow.

Both fraternities learn about DJ's dancing skills and start heavily recruiting him. DJ finally decides to join the Thetas. The reason behind this is he has met a girl, April (Meagan Good) and her boyfriend, Grant (Darrin Dewitt Henson) is a Gamma. DJ tries to win April over throughout the entire movie. DJ just has to prove his skills at the National Step Competition.

The movie was sort of cheesy. I think I am ready to start stepping myself. I think I could be good at it. I may throw my back out a couple of times but who cares. The national competition was sort of Bring It On but it worked. I give this movie a 4 out of 10.

No comments: